Kelly Clarkson rocks!!
Check out her cover of
Walkin After Midnight.
Patsy Cline is still one of my favorite artists and
Video is no longer up.... if anyone knows where this can be located let me know!!!!


Monday, February 8, 2010

Old Blue Eyes

Ok, I have to mention it (if I didn't then I would be the only one not talking about it)....

The Colts just blew that game. Really the tipping point was the dropped pass by Garson late in the first half but the slide had already started. The team just did not seem to be in the game. Sloppy attempts at tackling, slowness off the ball, half-hearted routes, and a general sense of malaise. I think Manning summed it up in the post game interview: disappointing.

Don't get me wrong. I am a huge Colts fan, and I do not wish to take anything away from the Saints. The Saints played a near perfect game and certainly looked like they wanted it more. Congratulations to the New Orleans Saints. You guys deserve that win and your dedicated play showed that.

Ok, now that I have that out of my system lets move on.

I am just chilling out at the coffee shop listening to some tunes and surfing around the net. I am not sure what caught my attention but I had the urge to hear some Frank Sinatra. The song, Fly Me To The Moon, was featured in Space Cowboys (If you have not seen it, go rent, borrow, buy, steal it. You will not be sorry). The movie was on the other night and something on the yahoo home page just got me humming it in my head. So I went to iTunes and bought it. It was better than I thought it was going to be, so it is now officially in my rotation. I am presently look at some Dean Martin (Another Rat Pack member). I will have to see what catches my eye (That's Amore will most certainly end up in my collection I am sure).

So what does all this have to do with anything of any importance?

Well, nothing really.

For some odd reason it made a connection to a poem I read for English the other day (Powwow at the end of the world by Sherman Alexie). As I have a profound respect for Native Americans (American Indians, or whatever you choose to be called) I found the poem very touching. I will not spoil it for you but I would urge everyone to find it (It can be found online in many places) and read it... in fact read it a couple of times. Then look up the information about the Spokane tribe and the relationship they have with the Grand Coulee Dam. For those, amongst you, that have a soul you might find this enough to bring, at the very least, a tear to your eye.

Now, how about this connection. I can't tell you. The two things are so far apart one might as well be here and the other on the, ummmmm, moon. My mind makes the strangest of tie ins these days. I suppose I could blame it on the MS but the truth is that I have always managed to group together the most dissimilar of things at the oddest of times. Kind of like strawberry ice cream and okra (ewww, right?). I have, and always will.

So why Sinatra, and not someone more contemporary? I dunno. I have always liked the old stuff. Sinatra, Martin, Crosby, Webb, Bennett, Cole... the list could go on. Sadly, we just don't have singers like that anymore. I suppose I could try to make a comparison to people from the last 20 years or so but there just aren't that many that I like that much. There are songs here and there that I enjoy but looking at their body of work as a whole, nothing stands out.

So here I sit, listening to Frank sing his heart out. Nearly in tears (Read the poem). Wondering about my life and how will it be affected 5, 10, 20 years from now. The MS seems to be pretty much hanging back (for which I am eternally grateful, as you all might already know) but it never leaves my waking thoughts. Hell, recently I had some disturbing dreams but I really don't want to think about them to much.

I did have a funny dream though. They perfected the ability to transfer the consciousness of a human into robotic bodies (I read an article a few months back along these lines, heh). It was decided that I should have the chance to live forever so I opted to have the procedure done. I picked out a suitable platform, one that was spiffy looking and very sturdy, and went in to have it done. When I woke up though, there had been a small glitch. As a result, I ended up in a toaster and there I was stuck. Want to talk about a horrid existence? That would be it.... forever spitting out toasted bread for other people. hahaha

So there you have it. I talked about the BIG GAME, snuck in something about my english homework, got to talk about Frank Sinatra, and recounted a silly, and oddly funny, dream. Oh, I did mention MS. Just an all around odd day today.

I suppose I could have just skipped posting any of this since, upon rereading, it seems to ramble on, with no real point, and otherwise lacks anything that even remotely approaches memorable. Oh well, I never promised that everything I would write would be witty and/or insightful.

In the final analysis, it is just what was on my mind. Go look up the poem Powwow at the end of the world. It is short on words but god awful long on meaning.

Later taters!

Mike

2 comments:

Have Myelin? said...

LOL...where to start? Strawberry ice cream and okra, your "avatar" dream-turned toaster, hahaha!

You are in good form. :->

awb said...

Thought I'd stop in and say hey. People don't even say the name colts here in Baltimore anymore, but I like em. Take care,
Andy