Kelly Clarkson rocks!!
Check out her cover of
Walkin After Midnight.
Patsy Cline is still one of my favorite artists and
Video is no longer up.... if anyone knows where this can be located let me know!!!!


Thursday, September 9, 2010

Like sands through the hourglass.....

so are the days of our lives.

To be totally honest, that line, borrowed with great affection from Days of our Lives, has absolutely nothing to do with this post. I just happened to catch the theme last night and I like it. Back when I was in high school, or to be more correct; should have been in high school, I used to watch the show as often as I could. The whole Bo and Hope thing was just too much to resist.

It could have been the fact I spent a lot of time partaking of medicinal herbage and/or the fact that the actress playing Hope,Kristian Alfonso, was just so bloody hot. She was certainly not your typical representation of women on TV at the time. But I so do not want to go down that road in this blog.

(Editors note: She is still an amazingly beautiful woman though she seems to be running on the far side of thin.)

So just what the hell is on my mind today? A lot really.


Politics:

I have been watching the news a lot in recent months and find myself both angered and saddened by the bull I see. I do not think there is enough room on this blog to cover all of that. Suffice it to say that all of the politicians are still talking out of both sides of their mouths, mainstream media is still touting Obama as the second coming (Strictly technically speaking, would it not be the third coming? I mean he was born, then died, and then resurrected three days later. By my count he is already up to two......), networks like Fox and MSNBC are still allowing their talking heads to preach fear and hatred instead of presenting real facts. In the end, they are all a bunch of lying, cheating, hate-mongering bastards who all deserve to be locked in a room together for a month. While they are busy tearing out each others throats perhaps the rest of America can get down to the business of fixing what's wrong.


Ground Zero Mosque:

So If I don't want to talk about politics, what else is there? The Mosque near ground zero. Listen, I think what they want to do is perfectly legal and certainly allowable under our constitution. After all, the country was founded on the basic principle of freedom of religion. Don't believe me? Check up on your history. You might find yourself surprised to find that some of the first, if not the first, organized governing bodies were all about the right to practice religion as each person believed. Does this mean I am in favor of the Mosque? Not quite. While it is certainly legal it is also just as certainly in poor taste.

On this same subject, I have heard many people say that they will be ok with the Mosque when Muslim countries allow Christian churches to be built and Christianity openly worshiped in them. Since when do we do adhere to the tenets of our constitution based on what other countries do? Just as I thought. That document is not there to be used only when it suits us. It is there for the times it doesn't. When we start selectively supporting our constitution then this nation is done.

Like I said, it is in poor taste. Of course, I am not a religious person so all this is, for the most part, meaningless to me.


Burning of the Qur`an, or Koran, or however you want to spell it:

What can I say about this. Moronic. Stupid. Pointless. Asinine. Extremist. Did I mention moronic already? Yep. So If I am not religious why should I bother mentioning it? Just because I am not doesn't mean Muslims aren't. In fact, many are serious about their religion, deadly serious. Is the burning of their holy book going to serve any real purpose? Yep. It will further inflame the radical Muslims, who really do not need another excuse for killing Americans, and only serve to further alienate those moderate Muslims who only want to live their lives in peace. Sure, there are a lot of extremist Muslims out there but that's because the is a boat load of Muslims period. I have not read their holy book, nor do I plan to, but I have read enough stories, reports, op-eds, and news articles to feel certain that some are misinterpreting portions which has led to many of the problems we have. Can this be to blame for all of the hatred spewed at America? Nope, but it goes a long way towards explaining that hatred. Like the Mosque, is it illegal to burn it? Nope. Is it in poor taste? Yup.

And now for something completely different.

(Shamelessly lifted from Monty Python!)


I went to Tampa for a get together with some of my cousins and it was a blast. I have not seen them in years and was also glad to meet their spouses/significant others. I just have to mention Friday night.

It was just Tina and myself, as everyone else was not due in until Saturday, and she wanted to go out for a drink and something to eat. She told me we would go to a real laid back place, sit on the patio (so we could smoke), listen to the DJ, and just catch up in general. Then, once everyone was there, the following day, we would hit up a dive bar. Sounded like fun, and it did start out that way, but later in the evening it got a bit hairy. Some biker punched one of the regulars and bloodied his face. I am not sure what precipitated the fight but that's not important. The biker was thrown out. I told the manager, jokingly that her place was a little too violent for me. I just didn't have a clue. About, oh I don't know, thirty minutes later the bouncer, who had thrown out the biker, shows up on the patio telling everyone to get inside immediately.

That did not sound good.

Turns out, the biker had come back with a rifle and was threatening to kill everyone there. YIKES! The cops were called and no one was hurt. I am not sure if the biker was caught/arrested or what but I do know that we left. I told Tina that if this was her idea of a laid back bar, then I did not want to know what kind of place she considered to be a dive. In her defense, she said she had been going there for more than four years and had never once seen even so much as a fight. I attribute it to the fact that it was the beginning of Labor Day weekend and that perhaps the drinking had started way too early for some people.

The rest of the weekend was uneventful and we did not go out Saturday night. We stayed in, drank too much and just sat around talking and catching up. I was a great weekend and I really should make plans to head down to Florida more often. Maybe after I graduate.


So that's it for now. Life is still going. I try to take it a day at a time and I can't complain.... much. Not that it would do any good. No one would listen and if they did, the would not care so why waste the energy.

I will end this post on a humorous note, since after reviewing many of my past posts and seeing that people really enjoyed the humor.

Once again I resort to the wisdom of Calvin and Hobbes:

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.


Later Taters!!

I know return you to your regularly scheduled internet.

Edit: Grammar, spelling, and clarity.

2 comments:

A.Marie said...

Hi there! I enjoyed reading your post! Sounds like you have been very busy with your schooling and just life in general. I love your Calvin and Hobbes quote! :)

Mike said...

Thanks and yep, life has been busy. I will survive it though.

Being busy I mean. If I could find a way to survive the whole life thing I would make a fortune!

I think Calvin will be my new spiritual adviser. His outlook on life so works for me.