Kelly Clarkson rocks!!
Check out her cover of
Walkin After Midnight.
Patsy Cline is still one of my favorite artists and
Video is no longer up.... if anyone knows where this can be located let me know!!!!


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

It's that time of the year.....

Merry Christmas. Feliz Navidad. Frohe Weihnachten. Nadolig Llawen. Buon Natale. Glædelig jul.

The first two are pretty obvious. In case you don't speak a foreign language, or several for all that matter, the next is German, then Welsh, followed by Italian and finally Danish. I must point out that I don't even speak my native language all that well (American English if you didn't know) so don't think I knew those. My thanks to Google Translate for the help.

So what do they all mean?

I suppose that to each of us, while there are certainly some commonalities, it means something different. Parties, gifts, decorations, things, stuff, crap.

I do not like Christmas. I am a self-described Grinch, Scrooge, lump of coal.

"Why?" you may be asking yourself. That is a valid question with a seemingly simple answer.

Christmas has become a season.
(I am not going to get in to the religious meanings or the pagan celebrations over which Christmas was actually layered in order to bring more converts in to the church.)

Listen, I don't pretend to be anything other than who and what I am. That does not change during this particularly horrid time of the year. It is a month long shopping blitz where retailers try harder and harder to separate people form their money. Sadly, the vast majority of our population are sheeple and gladly follow the shinies in to the slaughterhouse. Stop bowing to the pressure placed on us to "spend, spend, SPEND!" and instead focus on what is important.

Friends and family.

What about a visit to that aunt or uncle in the old folks home? Take them a book or a sweater and just spend some time with them. What about that grandmother or grandfather you have not spoken with since you got that birthday card? Give them a call and catch up. What about your brother or sister? When is the last time you just sat and talked about anything? Thought so.

In the end, people don't remember the fancy gifts, or the huge meals, or the decorations (Except you Mom, you remembered all of that stuff!!). Some families have lost loved ones this year, people they will never get the chance to talk to again. Some families have loved ones in far away lands and no clue if they are going to make it home. Some families just don't have anyone other than themselves.

Do not forget that this holiday is not about all the shit you can buy and give and get. It is about the people, the same as it is every year.

Merry Christmas everyone!! Now get off the damned computer and go call a random relative (No, chatting on Facebook doesn't count).

Mike








2 comments:

Webster said...

Heh, I already did that tonight. I'm hoping to get to a family reunion for Christmas day, too. In the Catholic tradition, Christmas was always a season; it was called Advent. It existed long before shopping malls, which I also avoid.

Have a pleasant Christmas Day, and a Happy New Year.

Have Myelin? said...

Harrumph! Your new entry did not make it into my reader so I missed this post by a mile.

Happy New Year, "Grinch" from a 'mom'. LOL!!! =)