Kelly Clarkson rocks!!
Check out her cover of
Walkin After Midnight.
Patsy Cline is still one of my favorite artists and
Video is no longer up.... if anyone knows where this can be located let me know!!!!


Thursday, September 15, 2011

Retrospective

You know, I was reading over some of my old posts and having a quiet chuckle (The Condiments one still makes me laugh).  I realized that this blog was not just about my life, and MS, and all the evils that attempt to seduce me.  It seems to be as much about my view of the world I live in and, to a certain extent, my beliefs about the topics I have discussed.

Now I would be remiss if I did not actually think it wasn't all tied together, no matter how shabbily, in some way.  I know that it is, so long as you loosely define a few things, turn a blind eye every now and again, and have the ability to put up with my poor grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and sentence/paragraph structure.

So with that being said I think I need to just look back on my life and see where I've been, take a close look at where I am at, and maybe dare to look forward.  I would like to say I will put these down as posts but I think we all know that just won't happen.  Not for a lack of willingness but because I just won't do it.  I will try.

I came across some MP3's a few weeks back that I had forgotten I had.  They are recording of the Stan Freberg 1957 radio show.  My mom had turned me on the Freberg way back when I was just a little kid.  I still laugh today at some of the bits.  St. George and the Dragonet, The Banana Boat Song, Grey Flannel Hat Full of Teenage Werewolves and so many more.  The man was way ahead of his time.  Of course with voice actors like June Foray and Daws Butler to help him many of those bits are just wonderful and tons better than a lot of the stuff recorded today.

In case you don't know who June and Daws are then you are wrong.  If you have watched a cartoon in the last 40 or 50 years then you have likely heard them and just never knew you had.  I would suggest a quick trip over to IMDB.  You might find yourself quite surprised at the number of voices these two amazing actors came up with.

It wasn't just Stan Freberg though.  There were a number of shows she managed to drag me in to.  Well, drag might be a wee bit of an overstatement.  Now that I think about it I now understand how my love of watching television developed.  Shows like Dark Shadows (A soap opera about Vampires.... sound a little familiar?) was a favorite.  I remember getting home from school in time for that to come on.  We would sit side by side on the couch and watch, transfixed, though for all together different reasons.  I watched because it had vampires, deaths (mostly temporary though), werewolves, and all manner of creepy locations as well as sinister things going on.  Mom watched because she had some kind of a crush on the actor that played the lead character (Barnabas Collins), Jonathan Frid.  I hear they are making a movie version (Tim Burton directing and Johnny Depp as the title character.  Should be interesting as long as Burton doesn't Burtonize it too much).

When I get a regular job I may have to see if that is out on DVD and get it if it is.

Speaking of jobs, I am still looking for a full time gig.  I keep sending out resumes but I have to call no 'no joy' and the hunt for full time employment.  Heck, I can call 'no joy' for hearing from potential employers as well.  It is just a giant suck fest.  I keep eyeballing this bottle of tequila on top of my fridge but I don't open it.  I do not want to get started on that road.  Oddly enough however, my smoking as picked up quite well.  You would think if I have to willpower to not take a drink I would have the willpower to stop smoking those little sticks of cancer.  meh.  I need one vice I suppose.

MIAMI!
(Think about it....)


Ok, I guess that is all for now.  Stop by and leave me a comment, note, word off wisdom, death threat..... I take them all any more.  lol!

Take care everyone and be safe!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled internet.






3 comments:

Nancy said...

Man 'o man your childhood tracts mine and I even like Dark Shadows. I wish you mega success on getting employment. My only vice is smokes too, and coffee. Keep yer chin up!
Miami Vice...lol

Webster said...

Best of luck to you on your job search. These days even a fine education doesn't get you an interview. But hang in there... one day this depres, er, recession will pass. I don't know what it will take but time.

Mike said...

@Nancy: I do not consider coffee a vice. A life giving drink, a way of life perhaps but not a vice.

@Webster: Despite all the bad things I really do try to keep my chin up and plug away. I am fortunate that I have family willing to help out (THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!) so things are not as bad as they were a few weeks back.